Friday, September 6, 2013

Fun Friday-My Last Hurrah

This week for Fun Friday I'm posting a Vignette by my older sister, Moriah. Enjoy, and have a great rest of the week!

I take a deep breath. I 'm actually doing it. I'm going to finally get out of this business. Just one more gig, one more performance, one last hurrah. Today, thousands of my fans, and whoever is siting in from of their TV will hear me sing my new song "Hello and Goodbye" for the first time. And the last. Because what they don't know, is that this is my very last concert.
You see, I have a quickly progressing form of cancer that I'll be having surgery for tomorrow. A surgery which I have a very small chance of surviving. Even if I do survive, I'll never sing again. I've known about this pending, possibly fatal, event for months now, but I had decided to wait until I could tell most of my fans at once.
Now, backstage in the dark, I wonder if I should back off. Then I hear their roars of approval as the band comes onstage, their laughter as my agent jokes around before introducing me, their hush of anticipation as the music starts. I can't let them think that they'll see me again. I stand up and brush off the long, white, silk gown, and glide onto the stage. They scream with happiness until tears come out of their eyes. Until I stand there, and my eyes glance over the audience, being sure to include the many station cameras, and say those words I've dreaded for forever.
 "A big hello to all my fans out there tonight. But also a sad goodbye." A hush falls, so quiet I can hear my guitarist's restrained sobs behind me.

"I have some news for all of you."

And here's a link to my sisters blog- www.symptomsofwritesanity.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I didn't see this post till now. Tell Moriah I thought that was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Willa! I'm glad you like it! :)

    ReplyDelete