Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Blood in the flames

Back and forth. Up and down. Doesn't stop. Doesn't rest. Doesn't stop. A candle doesn't complain, doesn't speak. It burns, but it sheds light. It shines a little haze around you as I stare into your eyes.
"Please." I plead. "I don't have anywhere else to go." You shake your head. I shake all over.
"No." You say. "I can't trust you again." There is hurt in your voice, pain. I have inflicted on you. I have taken a knife and driven it into your heart. And I have dropped the blood into your candle flame. I nod my head to you.
"I wouldn't help me either." I say, my words emptier then this cloudless night. I gently clasp my hand around her wrist for a moment. "Have a good life, my... friend." And I don't say my love. I don't deserve to call you that. I deserve to be killed just like they will as soon as they find me. I stand there in front of you as you shed a few tears, as you put a hand up to shield the flame from the wind. Then you go inside. And I'm alone. I turn around, running up the hill to where the moonlight is strongest. And I cry. And I scream. And I weep. For you. Because I have hurt you. And now you have to see me die. And now I'm over, but I don't care. I hurt you. So I weep. I take my knife out of my pocket and dig it into my palm. The pain doesn't matter. The pain is welcome, it makes me forget. I hear a gasp behind me and turn around. You're standing there, candle in hand. I sob.
"What are you doing here?" I gasp out, trying to hide my bleeding hand. You run forward, your eyes wide.
"What did you do to yourself?" You set down the candle and take my hand in yours, trying to stop the bleeding with your shirt hem. I look at you with watery eyes.
"Why did you come back?" I ask you. "I hurt you." You look at me straight in the eyes, love shining through them like the moon.
"Why wouldn't I?" You say so simply.
"I hurt you." Is all I can say back. Instead of replying, you lean forward and kiss me on the lips. I close my eyes and savor your warmth. After you break away, I press my forehead to yours. You lean forward and whisper something in my ear so impossible it hurts. You whisper,
"I love you." You look me square in the eye. "I love you so much, I'm going to die with you." I gasp, a little gasp, all I can manage. You sit on the grass, gently pulling me down next to you. You pick up the knife and look at me. "Will you?" Is all you say, and I take the knife. You take a twin one out from your night gown and hold it in your shaking hand. And you plunge it into me. And mine into you. The pain doesn't matter, because I'm looking at you. I take my bloody hand in your smooth white one, tears streaming down my face as the pain run through me. You lean forward and kiss me one more time. One more time. I take a deep breath and look at the candle. shedding light. So bright,but when you touch it, it burns. One more time. I look back at you one last time, and then you fall to the ground with me.

Forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment