Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Writing Wednesday!

Hey all! This week for Writing Wednesday, I'm going to post a chapter of  Titanium, and I'm also going to talk about my writing this year for a teeny bit.
First of all, please note on the side bar that I changed the schedule for the blog. Please comment if anything is unclear about it.
This year, I made a very specific goal about my writing. I get bored easily, and my family can vouch for this. So each month, I decided to write 10,000 words. but after the month is over, I switch to a new novel and write 10,000 words on that. But before you say "Silly Elsie, by the end of the year, you'll have 12 unfinished novels." I'm going to stop you there. I'm not stupid. In January, I'm going to be working a book called Questions, about a girl named Carissa, and a boy who's been haunting her dreams for all her life, Liam, and a courious place called the Nothing. This next month, February, I'm going to work on a novel called Mirror. It's about a girl named Crystal, a princess, and her emotional fight with her magical powers and her father. THen in March, I'll write in a book called Names, and I'll post a synopsis later. Then in April I'll go back to Questions again, and the story will be fresh. Then the month after that on the Mirror again. And so on. But now, with no further ado, Chapter 4 of Titanium. :-)

Chapter 4- Tara
Back Home
We continue to fall through the darkness, and this time I’m more aware of what is happening. The fall isn't actually falling, really. It’s hard to explain, more like floating. But really, really fast. Slowly, the black turns to brown. And the brown to blue. And the blue separates into green, forming the grass. Then, in the time it takes for me to blink, I hit the ground. Luckily, J breaks my fall. I look up, roll off J, and see I’m on the little hill behind Aunt Lillian’s house. The very same one I called my father from only a few hours ago. I take in a deep breath, my heart beating fast and my head feeling light. Incredibly cliché, but it seems like ages ago. I sit on the green, green grass and look at J.
“This is your house?” He asks in marvel, rubbing his probably sore neck. I shake my head.
“Um, No.” THe thought of only me and my father living in this big farmhouse seems so unreal and scary.
This is my cousin’s house.” I gesture to the property, then put my hands firmly back in my lap.“I live in an apartment in Minnesota.” J frowns. “You have no idea where that is.” I realize, thinking how weird that is. He nods and I try to latch on the a thought.
“What do we need to do next?” J asks, sounding as lost as I am.
“I don’t know. My aunt will tell me I’m crazy, or worse, believe me. She’s probably worried enough as it is.” J nods.
“You have a cousin, or…?” He sounds really lost, almost like he’s regretting helping me, like he wants to go back home to whatever home and life he had. I nod, very slowly.
“I-um, don’t know if he would believe me.” J put his hand on my shoulder, looking like he’s hoping what he’s going to say is right.
“You can make him believe you.” He sounds so sure it hurts my heart. How could someone I don’t even really know have more faith in me then I do?
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
I stand in front of the door, my knuckles all ready to knock on James’s door. Less than  a centimeter from the door, they stop.
“I can’t do it.” I whisper. “Brain Monkey? Now would be a good time to call me stupid and tell me what to do.” I wait a second. “Nothing.” I take a deep breath and knock. In a moment, James opens the door, his eyes widening when he sees me.
“You!” He exclaims. “Where were you? Where’s Uncle- er, your dad?” He rushes to assure me he wasn't worried. “Not that I care, but mom was freaked out.” I nod, trying not to get mad or cry.
“’Course not. James, I need your help. It’s important.” James frowns so deep he looks 5 years older.
“With what?” His voice has an edge, but he sounds kind of scared.
“Um, I can’t tell you. I have to show you.” James mouth opens to deny my favor, but I cut him off. “James, I need you to trust me. Please. I know you have no reason to trust me at all. I know I was a jerk to you, just for something you didn't do, but I was foolish and mean. I’m sorry. ” I hold up my thumb for a ‘Thumb Tap’ like we used to when we were kids. He stares at my thumb, sitting there in the air, looking ridiculous and sad, the empty space between our friendship. Then he brings the space to a close. I let out a shaky breath and wipe an idle tear from my eye, trying not to let more tears break out.
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
“So, when you call your dad’s number, it will bring us to an alternate dimension?” James asks skeptically. I nod. He opens his mouth, looking at me like I’m crazy.
“Before you deny it, I’m just going to dial.” I say, opening up my phone to my contact list. James nods.
“Wait. But who is this guy?” He asks, pointing at J. “Your boyfriend?” I blush and shake my head.
“That’s, uh, J. I met him in Arret.” I say. James opens his mouth, grinning slyly. “He’s not my boyfriend.” James closes his mouth and shakes his head like he wasn't going to say anything. I roll my eyes, but secretly grin inside, because James and I are getting along. We are. “Alright.” I say, taking James’s hand and preparing to take J’s. I take a deep breath and press Send. I grab J’s hand, and with the phone between our palms. And I turn to look at James just in time to see his terrified face. Then, we fall into the portal. Falling for the first time is so much more terrifying than the third. In fact, to me, it’s even almost beautiful. But James looks frozen in fear, his body tense and rigid, and his face with so much terror that it scares me whether he’ll be okay. I can only imagine what J felt when he found me. So when we land, I don’t even look at J. I look over at James to see if he’s alright. When he sees me looking at him, all he says is;
“You were right.” Some color returns to his face, enough to make him look alive. “You were right.” I nod and stand up, reaching my hand out to help him up. As he stands, pull him into a hug. I don’t look at him, but I hear quiet sobs into my shoulder. I know we should be doing something, anything, but I don't. I just stand there. After James composes himself, I look at J for what I guess the first time since we landed.
“Alright, James. This is J.” James sticks his hand out and J shakes it. James gives J the evil eye.
“You taking care of my cousin?” J frowns.
“I hope so, James. I don’t really know her.”
“Uh-huh. Is that what Tara would say?” J’s frown deepens, and then he breaks out laughing. James nods approvingly, and then laughs along with him. I just stand there, very confused.
“Uh, hello? Hate to interrupt your bro moment, but I need info.” Both of the boys stop smiling and stand up straight, back in business, these two. My cousin, and I, newly united, and a new friend, giving up anything he ever had.
“Right… so where are we?” James asks.
“Arret.” J answers right away. “My home.” I nod.
“My guess is an alternate dimension.” I say. “I somehow got here when I called dad, err, Uncle Joseph, err... Never mind. Everyone knows.” James nods.
“So, what need so happen?" He asks. "And J,” James turns to J, frowning. “Where do come in? What do you get out of this?” J shrugs.
“I don’t- don't, um, have anything, and Tara needed help. I figure the least I can do is help. My parents-" he stops short, his eyes empty yet full of pain. “My parents were… not nice people.” J swallows. “And…” I shake my head.
“You don’t have to tell us anything else if you don’t want to.” J nods and rubs his neck. I shake my head and look at James, marveled beyond marvel at how he’s keeping his cool.
“So… J? Weird but probably helpful question.” James says suddenly. J nods. “Who is the most… evil person… yes I know that sounds weird… the most evil person in Arret?” J looks perplexed.
“Our ruler, killer, and torturer.” James shudders. I nod.
“It’s as good a lead as any. What’s his name?” J looks at me.
“Joseph Lexton.” All of a sudden I feel faint.

“No, no, no.” I whisper. I look up at James’s face. He looks black and white, as if my vision is breaking. “This can’t be.” Then, I can’t speak anymore. It can’t be possible. And it can’t. I know it can't. Nothing is able to make this possible. Because I know that name. I know it better then anything else in the world. I know it because Joseph Lexton is my father.

2 comments:

  1. Oh. My. GOODNESS! What a cliffhanger! Can't wait for the next installment. :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :D Next Wednesday is coming up fast, and I have lots to do..:) I'll make sure to post though...

      Delete