Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Book Review: Shatter Me.



I got a trilogy at the library called Shatter Me, and I'm done with the first book and I've started on the second. It's a read in one or two sittings kind of book. So I thought, hey, I'll do a book review. There will be minor spoilers, but I'll put those in brackets so you can skip over them. Let's start with talking about her writing style. It's competently original, with awesome metaphors around every corner, like "My worries put on a pretty dress and pretend to be something else for a while.", and this weird cross-out thing going on. I got a page from the Amazon look-inside as an example.

































So that's kind of what the book is like. Like I said, really original writing style that sticks with you. I kind of envy the spunk the writer has. It's great.

The feel is like dystopian, fantasy, mystery, with a a sprinkle of X-Men thrown in at the end. Like I said, original and fun.
Rating: 9 out of 10.

The plot.  Very original.  I'll just post the synopsis for this part. I'ts a great blurb, which you normally don't find.
 No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon. But Juliette has plans of her own. After a lifetime without freedom, she's finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time—and to find a future with the one boy she thought she'd lost forever.
In this electrifying debut, Tahereh Mafi presents a riveting dystopian world, a thrilling superhero story, and an unforgettable heroine

Rating: 8 out of 10.

Now, the people, the MC and beyond. The MC I think has a very original feel to her, and a new spin on someone who's been isolation. At times she seems obsessed with numbers which I think makes a lot of sense and adds a nice touch to the book. Her love interest, however, is a really dimensional person. You feel his pain, and the anxiety of him though her. I think all of the characters were well done, including the ones who were in for only a moment.
Rating: 7 out of 10.

Now, the romance aspect. This is the spoiler part. The romance was definitely there, and in my opinion at times  little too front and center, but I prefer more action and less romance in a dystopian novel. but it was less than typical. I like it, but it can get a little old at certain points in the book. (Don't worry, they fix it in the second book.) [She'd actually known him for a long time, and he's been looking for her for a long time, and finally he did and they'd loved each other secretly for a long time without actually speaking to each other. Sounds typical, but it's not. Just trust me.] 
Rating: 5 out of 10. 

Well, now comes the part I'm not too crazy about. How age appropriate is it? Well, there is a fair amount of swearing. They use the D-word a few times and the S-word also. Too bad there's not Clear-Play for books. There's also some long kissy scenes. Nothing like really bad, but in my opinion too much kissing. [Considering at lots points one of them is dying/captured at most times.] 
Rating: PG-13.


So, if you're okay with swearing and  descriptive kissing scenes, this is a great book. Uncomfortable at times, yes, but the idea is really cool and original. If you do read it, please let me know what your thoughts are, and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment