Saturday, February 22, 2014

Stuff Saturday- Mirror Snippet

Hi all! I don't have any songs or short stories on hand right now, so I thought I'd post a snippet of the novel I'm working on this month. This is the last scene I wrote, and I just finished it up now.This takes place in the garden of Princess Crystal's (My Main Character) father's garden. (If you want to see some more snippets of my book and find out what my characters look like, seeing as this snippet has no descriptions, you can follow my pinterest board for it here.)

 I turn around, picking a rose from a bush carefully, pressing one of the petals between my fingers, feeling the water drain from it. I sigh a little wistfully and look at my fingers. They’re clean, except for a little bit or water on them. They say if the color of the rose leaks out onto ones skin when you press the petal between your fingers like that, you’ll find love. Or course it’s just a story, something they tell little girls who are waiting for their prince. But I already have my prince. I just don’t want him. King Saber stands, holding a hand out to me, palm up.
“Will you walk with me?” I nod, taking his hand and standing, trying to ignore the wobbling in my knees. I put my hand gently in the crook of the King’s elbow and walk slowly along with him, admiring the spring flowers that we pass. I open my mouth several times, but then close it again, not sure what to say. Saber seems to be deep in thought. Finally, he stops and looks to me, a look that I think may be sorrow in his eyes.

“Crystal.” I look at him, frowning. “Last night, I spoke to your father about the...closeness of our…Kingdoms.”  I feel my heart pounding my chest, because I think I know what he’s going to say next. It’s all I can do to just nod and keep my eyes on his, every word he says weighing on the words I know I have to say next. “And I've started to enjoy my time with you.” My head feels like it’s going to explode, because I don’t want to say this. I don’t want to marry him. But Saber plunges on, getting on one knee and taking a betrothal necklace out of his jacket pocket. My neck tenses up, and I try not to start making gasping noises, clutching the folds of my skirt into a fist. “Princess Crystal Amile Claral Marie of the house of Murrine, eldest child of King Durand Peter Francis Onne the 3rd, and heir to the throne of Murrine,” He say my formal title, and I don’t feel any love behind the words. “Will you…” My eyes feel like they’re bulging out of my head, and I don’t know what to do. “Be my wife?” The world blurs and spins. The green and purples and reds and blues of the garden blurring together, and the voices scream words loudly, but I can’t understand them, and I hear King Saber saying my name, clutching my arms to hold me upright, But I can’t do anything, I’m just screaming and clutching my head, and then- everything goes black. I don’t know if I live or die, don’t know I I’ll see anyone ever again. I can’t see anything. Nothing but the back of my eyelids, a dark grey, with just black shards of glass, floating around in front of my vision.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! This is so cool! Can't wait to hear more. :)
    By the way, Elsie, I awarded you over at my blog. Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Willa! I reeeeeaaalllly like this novel, way better then Titanium if I do say so myself.

      And thanks for the nomination, I just posted it, :)

      Delete