Thursday, September 18, 2014

Tips Tuesday: Be a bad writer.

Yes, you read the title correctly. Be. A. Bad. Writer. It's okay, write something that sucks. Write a rom com, or a typical dystopian. I have a novella set aside called If An Immortal died for when I wanna write clichès. It's completely okay. Make your characters cry all the time. Make them end with the wrong guy. All that matters is that you are writing, and you are doing the most important, most glorious thing about writing that will ever come to be. Always remember the words I am about to tell you, because they matter.

Freaking have fun. 

Can you push yourself? Sure. Can you spend twenty minutes on the same paragraph? Be my guest. I don't care, but if I hear that someone is writing and not have an ounce of fun at any point in the process, that makes me cry. Don't make me cry, okay?

And I'm not saying there is not a time to buckle down and edit, I know there is. 

But you can have fun with the first draft. 

It's not gonna be published like that. 

If you're not proud of what you wrote, or happy, or have deep attachment to it, you're doing it wrong!

HAVE FUN WRITING, PEOPLE! THIS IS YOUR PASSION, OKAY? 

All right. 

I'm done. 

But I'm serious. 

Enjoying herself,

Elsie. 

1 comment: