Thursday, September 18, 2014

Tips Tuesday- Becoming your MC.

I have always written in first as long as I can remember, so  l like to think I'm pretty good at getting inside a characters head. I think I've given you some of these tips before, but here goes.

1. Talk to them

I imgaine or write random scenes with me and my MC or her and her sister, and even I don't end up using any of these scenes, I think it helps me get to know them, see who they are. 

2. Cheat sheets.

I love these little info things you can fill out for your characters. It covers the basics like this-

Full Name -- Princess Crystal Amelia Elise Marie of the house of Clamè.
Meaning of Name - Glass
Nickname -- Crystal, Princess, your highness

And it also makes you think about the tiny things like habits-

Bad Habits -- biting nails, sighing, running in the halls, speaking before thinking,
Good Habits -- grace, 
Best Characteristic -- compassion
Worst Characteristic -- rebellious, loves too easily,
Worst Memory -- death of her mother
Best Memory -- finding her and Willow's secret place
Proud of -- her strength
Embarrassed by -- Willow and Samuel's secret, her voice, Saber, Inna,

3. Pinterest.

Pin everything that makes you feel like your MC. Even if it doesn't look like her, if it FEELS like her, then it doesn't matter. I have tons of pictures of Crystal that aren't really her, but it is her. (Ignore the fact that this makes no sense.) you can follow me if you want, btw. I can't get the link right now, but just search for Elsie Lansberry and you should find it. 

4. Think of your own memories.

Think of a time where you were embarrassed or confused or sad or happy. Imagine how your character would respond to the same thing. 

Hope you are helped by this. Leave any of your own tips in the comments, and lemme know what you thought! You know I love hearing from you. 

(Disclaimer. I do not claim for these methods to work, thy just work for me. I have not yet been published and what you see on this blog is the extent of my experience. Enjoy, but I'm not dying my methods are perfect, or one size fits all. ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment