Saturday, March 22, 2014

If an Immortal could die: Chapter 3- part 1 (PLUS THE COVER!)

Chapter 3

At first, when he says it, I think he’s lying. But he was probably ready for that, because he pulls a closed envelope out of his pocket. I shake my head vigorously.
No.” I say forcefully. “You’re lying.” I clench my hands into fists and tear my gaze away from him. “Just like you did before.” I throw at him. curling into a ball in my stiff leather seat of my car. I see him shake his head. slipping the envelope into my hands with a gust of wind. I feel the envelope get damp with sweat and wipe my hands on the front of my jeans. THen, taking as deep a breath as I can, I scroll up the window, shutting Alaric out, and slip my fingernail under the envelope flap, ripping it a little with my shaking hands. I’ve got shaky tears streaming down my face, I slip out an old looking paper. Sighing a little, I start to read, my eyes misty with tears. Because I know it’s her. It’s her handwriting. Her old jokes I was always so sick of.

Cvita,

By the time you read this, you won't have any idea I’m gone. Alaric pulled some strings so you would have some time, because I know with Jake things are crazy. For the past three or so weeks, I have been a party animal, and you don’t know why. You’ve been secretly wondering, so secretly wondering, why I Suddenly changed. And you’ve been confused. I’m sorry. You probably blamed Alaric. That’s not fair for him. And don’t you throw this away right now, because I know that’s what you want to do. But just “Hear” me out, okay? I know who he is. I can’t write it here, but if you know, you’ll know what I mean. You need to listen to Alaric, help him. Some serious stuff is going to go down. and you need to be prepared. if you want to believe me, go to the little graveyard in the back of the garden. Go to the tree. You know what tree. I love you and miss you.

Heather

I choke out a sob, my hands shaking harder than they ever have before. Of course I know what tree. Whenever Heater and I would come here, to the garden, I would say ‘When I die, I want to be buried next to that big tree.” And Heather would laugh. I jump up, getting out of my car, and running over, through the garden, past the playgrounds, to the gated graveyard. I don’t even ask for someone from the park to open the gate. I just jump over the metal bars, and run to the edge of the gate with the huge oak tree, over-shading all the graves. I gasp, because the grave is right there. Her name. Set in stone. And I’m gasping, choking on my tears. I’m shaking my head. I don’t know what to do. Right there. Heather Olivia Carabello, May 1992-March 2014. And that’s all, but then, I circle to the back and see for words. For Cvita: I’m sorry. I fall down on the ground, upset with tears. I bite down on my lip, trying hard to stop, and feel my lip start to bleed. I swear and stand up, wiping the blood away quickly. I ignore the quiver in my knees as I stand, and stumble my way back to my car, where Alaric stands. I sigh and then, before I think about anything, run into his chest, putting my arms around him I feel his warm, soft, stiff, and caring arms circle around me, and he whispers,
“Do you believe me now?” I nod, feeling his ever-beating heart in my ear.

“ I do.” Those two words I know, are hard for me to say right now. The last five minutes have been an emotional lifetimes worth of tears. I sigh and break away, not going to be the weak one anymore. Alaric lets go of me, and I let the cold wind push my hair back and make me cold. I take a deep breath and close my eyes, counting down from 10 to one. Then I open my eyes, ready to face this mission, whatever it is.


I don't own this picture. I got it from Pinterest and edited it.


No comments:

Post a Comment