Wednesday, March 26, 2014

If an Immortal died- Chapter 3- Part 3

They lead me down  long hall, and my heart beats faster with every step. I wonder who this mysterious Jarek is, and why everyone, including the ever calm and loving Alaric. I keep trying to focus my eyes on the winding halls of ivory and gold, with pillars of pure light and color.I sigh at the wonder of all this, and try to figure out how I’m still calm. I wonder if Alena whispered a word to me to help. Somehow, that makes me feel angry. I clench my fists and wait for us to arrive, still soaking everything in as much as I can. I’m lead through brass doors with vine entangled designs of men and women flying, writing, singing, and even fighting. Alaric opens the doors with a gentle current of air.I shiver and gasp as they lead me out into the huge sunroom, with glass ceilings everywhere, letting patterns of rainbow light come through a burrow of trees, shining down onto the silver floor, pillars of stone keeping up the high ceiling. I stumble on the smooth ground, falling and hitting the metal on the ground hard. I sigh and stand up again, not waiting for someone to help me up. I glance around the beautiful room one more time, then follow Alaric and the others out, sighing to myself. Again. Alaric leads the way. From what I can tell, if he Jarek is the boss, Alaric is second in command. Everyone follows him and pretty much does everything he says. I feel a hand on my shoulder and suddenly see the Heather’s grae next to an oak tree, and me crying, as if from afar, and I gasp.I see Alaric opening the car door and me flying upwards and through some sort of film over the sky, and then landing next to a palace, large and fair. My eyes fly open. I don’t even realize they were closed, and I whip around, pushing the women behind my onto the ground.
“What.” I say. “Was that?” I feel full of rage all of a sudden and can’t breathe properly. Reneta puts a hand on my shoulder and I feel calmer. I look at er and she smiles a little.
“That was Nenita. She’s the Goddess of memory and thought.” I take a deep breath and nod, understanding what’s going on. I turn back towards everyone after shaking hands with Nenita. She has violet eyes and african looking skin, with long luxurious black hair in loose curls. Her face looked snarky and arrogant. But I suppose if I knew everyone’s memories and thoughts I would be that way too. Reneta comes and takes Nenita’s hand whispering something in her ear. Nenita nods and glances at me for a moment, before whispering something back into Renata's ear. I wonder what they’re saying, but try not to dwell on it. We leave the wonderful room, going through a small door that leads to a long simple corridor, that reminds me of one of a hotel. I frown a little. The rest of the palace has been extremely extravagant and grand. But now, there’s just a red and brass vase with fake flowers in it, a top a maple-wood table, and simple geometric carpet in similar colors. THe ceiling is the popcorn kind, with little spikes like they had in the seventies to cover up defects in the concrete that always pops little kid’s balloons. I stare at it, confused and turn to Reneta and Nenita, ready to ask why it’s like this.
“Jarek.” Nenita says before I can even open my mouth. “This is his space.” I nod, pretending I understand. I wonder how Nenita knew what I wa going to say, and wonder if she can still reach my mind and read it. I shiver. Ever since she showed up, Reneta won’t look at me. I felt a connection with Renata, someone who can give and understand the calmness of my pain right now. And I wonder if anything I'm feeling right now is real. I wonder if maybe Alena whispered words of calm to me and Reneta made me feel happy. If Nenita put fake memories in my head so that I would help them. And if Alaric wanted them to. But who would tell if it was true? So I keep my mouth shut and just that dark thought seep into my heart. If Nenita an see it and tell everyone, I don’t care. Not one bit. Because if she can read what I think and want, she has every right to it. People are given a power for a reason. And if she has it, who am I to tell her not to use it? A piece of sense in the back of my mind tells me that I need to not think like that, but I don’t listen. I push it further back and pay attention as Alaric knock on the door at the end of the hallway. I still try my best to forget that I don’t want to be here, and wonder why that didn’t come up before. I feel more sure with every second we wait for Jarek to open his door that these people are using me and that I don’t even really want to be here. I take a deep breath just as Jarek opens the door and can’t let it out once he opens the door. He’s over seven feet tall, with a black beard and deep, sad, brown eyes. He looks mildly upset by the fact that they’ve bothered him. I feel like seeping into a non-existent shadow in this well lit corridor.
“Who is this?” He asks, his voice pleasant but a little edgy. Alaric and all the others bow. Jarek looks slightly pleased and nods. They all stand and I have a feeling I should have been bowing, too. I feel my heartbeat quicken and bow my head down, getting on one knee for a moment. Alaric glances at me for a moment and then begins to talk in a low voice to Jarek. Reneta, Alena, and Nenita begin to shift back on forth on their feet, feeling awkward as I do. Finally, Jarek and the man who said he loved me and lied turn around towards all of us, and I feel myself leaning forward, wondering what is in store for me, because all I can do right now is breathe and “Go with the flow”. Jarek opens his mouth to speak, but then Alaric falls to the ground, snoring loudly. Everyones eyes widen when they see a young boy, probably around eighteen or nineteen, standing there, a sly smile lifting up the corner of his lips. He has piercing blue eyes, black curly hair oily on the top of his head, ending at the nape of his neck. I can’t say I’m not amused to see the distinguished Alaric snoring, but I’m too focused on the handsome boy above him.
“Gunnar.” Jarek says, sounding angry. “I thought you were with Spana in Latiquontitte.”  He shakes his head.
“I’ve been out exploring the past three nightfalls, and no one noticed.”  He seems pleased by everyone’s responses, gasping and froing, and Go to your bed. I smile at his arrogance, smiling at how he reminds me of Heather. I suddenly feel a pang again and my smile melts off of my face. It’s too early to think about her. To think about Heather. Gunnar walks up to me, smiling a little.
“Who’s this?” I smile at him.
“I’m Cvita.” He raises his eyebrows.
“Mortal, I assume? You don’t have the annoying silky black hair.” He says the last part to mock seduction, letting his eyelids flutter closed for a moment. I laugh and nod.
“Mortal as they come.” Gunnar shakes his head.
“That can’t be true.” He grins mischievously. “You’ve got this lovely fair hair, and these awesome colored blue and green like the sea.” I giggle, humoring his flirtatious attitude. I glance at Alaric, who’s starting to wake up and sees me teasing.
“You’re Gunnar, I assume?” Gunnar nods and bows with a flourish.
“Yes. That would be right. The only son of a Mortal and an Immortal. My mother is Spana, the goddess of sleep.” He leans towards my ear, putting a hand on my shoulder and I tense up.
“She also,” He whispers, leaning in very close, “Has black silky hair.” I laugh loudly, and everyone begins to stare at us with more intensity. But it feels good to forget and laugh. Jarek helps Alaric stand and glares at Gunnar.

“Gunnar inherited his mother’s power to put people to sleep, and his father’s to be very...Mortal.” I try to ignore the pointed comment about Mortals, but it seeps deep into my heart anyways, lodging itself in my memories. Jarek sets his hand on Gunnar’s shoulder, staring intently into his eyes. “Go to your bed. And stay there, until Spena gets back.” Gunnar nods absently and turns and goes down the hallway. Jarek turns back to me, putting a hand out. I shake it and feel weak all of a sudden. “I am Jarek, God of war, leadership, movement, and stamina.” And then, I fall to the ground, unconscious.

No comments:

Post a Comment