Friday, March 21, 2014

If an Immortal died: Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I wake in the morning with a monster headache and too many unanswered questions. I drag myself out of bed and get dressed for work. I apply a little bit of makeup, and grab my jacket. Before work, I need to see someone. someone who knows what I’m going through. I take a deep breath and flip my phone open, speed dialing my sister, Sophia. She picks up after the second ring and I sigh.
“What’s up, Vita?” I smile a little at the sound of my big sister's voice.
“Hey, Soph. I’m confused. You remember Alaric?” It seems I can feel her nod.
“The dork who dumped you because he thought he was all high and mighty?” I smile a little, but feel a pang inside my chest. I never told her about Alaric. I thought even one of my closest friends wouldn’t believe it. I sigh.
“I’m gonna tell you something a little bit crazy.” I hear her sigh.
“You didn’t--” She chortles a little. “You didn’t get back together with him, did you?” I shake my head very vigorously.
“Heck no.” i sit on my bed. “It’s crazier.” I hear her sigh again. My sister sighs at me a lot.
“Go ahead.” I plunge in.
“Alaric-was-a-god-and-that’s-why-he-left-me-because-he-was-studying-humans-or-some-kind-of-crap-like-that,and-now-Heather-told-me-he’s-dead-but-he's-an-Immortal-so-he-can’t-be.” I take a deep breath. I hear silence on the other end, and then another sigh. And then, finally;
“So he thought he was better then you because he was a god,or Immortal?” I suddenly feel like giggling.
“Yes.” I say, trying to sound exasperated, and failing. “So, what now? I’m seriously confused.”
“I think you need more sleep, and to just let this blow over, because you don’t know anything for sure right now.” I nod, glancing at the clock absentmindedly. I gasp. it’s 8:14, and I need to be at work by 8:30. I had slept later then I thought.
“Crap.” I mutter. “I need to get to work.” Sophia sighs.
“Late, again? Alright.” She says. “Do good work, Vita. Love you.” I smile.
“Love you too.” I hang up, drop my phone in my purse, pick it up, and rush to the kitchen to make lunch. I throw together a sandwich, put it in a plastic bag, and knock on my roommate's door.
“Heather? Wake up!” I turn the doorknob gently. “You have to leave for work in half an hour.” I agreed when I bought the apartment with Heather six months ago to wake her up for her job as a grocery store clerk every morning. I’ve been doing for so long it’s now part of my morning routine. Heather and I help each other out, we’re friends. I hear mumbling and groaning on the other side of the door and I know she'll be up any second. I briskly walk back into the kitchen, glancing backwards when I hear a door open behind me. I see Heather coming out, her hair in messy curlers and one side of her face creased by the sheet.
“You leaving?” she mumbles, stumbling into the kitchen. I nod and stride over to the door, feeling heavy on my feet.
“Yep. Don’t forget, I’m gonna be out late tonight.” It’s not a lie, I just sound like I think she knows. Heather turns around quickly.
“Why?” I roll my eyes, buying time to come up with a real lie.
“I thought you knew. I’m spending some time out with Jake.” Heather shrugs, accepting my lie quickly.
“Okay. See you tomorrow, then.” I nod and go out my car. as soon as I get there, I just jump in, and stare into the distance for a moment. I can’t just sit here and “Let everything blow over”, as Sophia asked me to, I need to do something. I need to-- I turn the key in the ignition and pull my buckle across my torso before I can change my mind. I need to find Alaric. I grab my phone and text my workplace, telling them I’m taking a personal day, and pull out, taking a deep breath and feeling ragged. I will find him. I will. I pay careful attention as I drive, not even sure what I’m looking for. After driving  around in circles for around half an hour, I stop. “This was stupid.” I say. “Really dumb, Cvita. You weren't thinking straight, were you?” I sigh and pull into the parking lot for the local park. I lean back the car seat and unbuckle myself, covering my face with my hands gently. I sit there for who knows how long, tears streaming unwillingly into my hands. But I don’t move. They're silent tears, so they don’t matter to me. I shed still tears all the time. My sorrow is silent. My sorrow is beautiful. No one will notice anyway. And if they do, they won’t care. Because that’s how people work. But not him. I shake my head at the unwelcome thought.
“But yes him, and you know it.” I say forcefully. “all of what you knew was a lie. And nothing else.” My voice breaks, a sob breaking out, ruining my silence. Ruining my heart and spirit, my trust in myself. “Don’t cry you idiot.” I whisper, my voice harsh and rushed, trying to stay ahead of the tears, who run towards my ability to speak. But finally, I give in, I close my mind, close my eyes, painting an image of pain inside my head, feeling the deepest of sorrows, my spirit dropping down low to know what pain is, what true grief is. I take my paintbrush of tears and paint an invisible picture. A picture of bittersweet agony. I sigh and bite my down on my lip hard, the picture disappearing entirely,not even a glimmer left inside of me, Not even a glimmer of sorrow. And then, I hear a knock. On the window of my car. My eyes fly open, and the pressure on my lip releases, blood rushing back into it, and a stinging feeling appearing. And then, I feel lightheaded, as my vision clears. I see a figure standing there, in black, his eyes bright, an almost perfect match to mine. So many sighs over that rush into my head, and I gasp. Because he  is standing right there. tears rush out of my eyes, happy and angry and sad and aginous. And I want to close my eyes again, lose everything out, but I also want to rush out and embrace him, hold him, hurt him with my love that I know I still have for him. I shake my head,wanting to turn on the car push him away, wanting too many things that it hurts like hell. Because Alaric Is standing right there.
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
He looks just like he did last time I saw him, young, wonderful, intense eyes, a blend of blue and green, sweep, arrogant smile, the same angular cheekbones and jaw, his eyebrows concentrated and his spine straight, making me feel small and unimportant. Just like I should around a god. I roll down the window a little, just to let his voice in. I feel calm suddenly, and I swear I feel a gust of wind dry my tears away.
“Cvita.” He says, and my heart beats quickens. “You need to come with me.” I shake my head.
“Why should I? you left me, Because you’re an Immortal.” i throw the word Immortal at him like it’s something shameful, like he’s horrible.Alaric shakes his head, his eyes fixed on me sharply.
“I explained to you why--” I shake my head.
“No. You gave me pain you will never know, your highness.” Alaric shakes his head at me like i’m a young child being irrational.
“You’re being irrational.” He says, as if he’s read my mind. And who knows, maybe he has. Maybe that’s how got me to love him unconditionally.
“No. I’m not. i’m being completely logical. I’m totally sane. Because I’m mad at. Because you hurt me. And I’ll never forgive you, not ever. No matter how much I used to love you, or ever will love you.” Alaric shakes his head again, looking agitated for once.
“Cvita. Just listen.” I purse my lips.
“You have 15 seconds.” I glance at the clock on dashboard, counting the seconds until I can leave him. Leave this man who doesn’t love me. Never will.
“I just have two words for you, Cvita Johansson.” I close my eyes, ready to soak in the last words I will ever hear him say. Because I never want to see him again. Not for one second.For all of his godly eternity he can die for all I care. He can die, just like Heather said. Alaric takes a deep breather and looks me right in the eyes. “Heather’s dead.”

No comments:

Post a Comment