Tuesday, March 25, 2014

If an Immortal died: Chapter 3: part 2

Alaric opens the door to my car and I step in. Alaric closes the door gently and comes around the other side of the car. I unlock the door and motion for him to get him. He sighs and straps his seatbelt on. I turn the car on again and turn to Alaric. “Where to?” I ask. Alaric looks at me, a mysterious glimmer in his eyes.
“Close your eyes.” I take a deep breath and bite my lip, ignoring the urge to say no. But I let my eyelids flutter closed, and I feel a motion, as if I’m lifting. I shut my eyes tighter, both of my hands clenching my jaw and my fists. I feel like I’m rocking back and forth, and up and down, and in diagonals and I’m not even moving at all. I hear voices outside and a light shines in front of my eyes. I still keep my eyes closed, telling myself to breathe and not throw up, which are the things I’m having the most trouble with right now. Finally, everything stops. And I feel someones hand on my shoulder. I hear a woman’s voice whisper in my ear a latin word.
Sopor.” and I’m gone.
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
When I wake up, I feel as if I’m more rested than I’ve ever been. I see Alaric standing over me, many other men and women in tribal looking clothes. Alaric smiles weakly, putting a hand out ot help me sit up.
“How long was I asleep?” I ask, expecting the answer to be days or more.
“Five minutes.” Alaric says. He nods to a woman next to him, with deep brown eyes and black silky hair. “This is Alena. She is the goddess of words.” I nod, suddenly understanding, and my head supplying the correct latin word that she spoke to me.
Sopor. It means deep sleep.” I put a hand over my mouth, it’s touch comforting me somehow. “i don’t know latin.” Alena nods.
“It’s the palace. You’ll get used to it.” She turns around, whispers, “Veni Renata” And a tall, regal women appears a few seconds later, with blue grey eyes and black hair, blocks of it in red highlights. Alena turns to me, and Alaric says,
“This is Reneta, the goddess of pain and emotion.” I nod and put my hand out, and Renata shakes it. I suddenly feel a pang in my heart and resist the urge to pull my hand back. Renata  smiles weakly and takes her hand back.
“Sorry. I have that effect on people.” I nod, letting light seep back into me.
“It’s...Fine.” I whisper. “That was kind of amazing, actually.” I look down at my hand for a moment, seeing paths of blue and red and purple where it crosses over where Reneta had touched me. I make myself breathe out. I look up at Reneta. “Thank you.” Reneta nods slowly.
“Sure.” I nod again, rubbing my palm rhythmically. We all stand there in silence, until finally, I speak up. “So I know I intruded on all your godly life and stuff, but I am in serious need of answers. One of my best friends just died, and I’ve been told it’s ‘part of something bigger’, but I have no idea. I want something, someone to tell me what I need to do.” Alaric glances worriedly at me for a second before staring intensely at his-- are they his siblings?-- for a moment, and they at him. Alena takes my hand, and I feel like I could tackle any book, win any intellectual test.
“We need to take you to Jarek.” I shake my head, unsure.
“O--okay?” I turn to Reneta, who I felt a sudden connection with as soon as I got here and she held my hand. “Who’s Jarek?” Reneta smiles a little, but there’s a little venom I don’t quite understand behind it.
“Our leader. And our older brother.” It seems innocent enough, but the way she said it scares me. I nod.
“All right.” I say, smiling a little. “Take me to your leader.”

No comments:

Post a Comment