Friday, April 4, 2014

April Project- Days 4 and 5

Hi! I posted writing tips yesterday, so I'm posting Thursday's story as well as today. Today's is a little short, because I have piano lesson and need to sign off very soon, but I did write 200 words. So here's today's Picture prompt. (I got both of them from Pinterest. Kudos to the artists.)

And here's the story-
I opened my eyes only once in this life. I saw everything with a green tint. I saw pink and green pieces of glass floating around through fog, and then I couldn't open them for any longer. I felt around, but my fingers could not touch. I opened my mouth, but no sound came out. I took a deep breath but could not breathe. I am cursed. Forever. I am practically nothing at all. because try as I might, I cannot leave this place. I am not aware of time passing in this sickening prison. I fear my bones are beginning to rust. I don’t know why I’m here, for sure, because my memories are gone, except for a vision of a little girl running around. I have reason to believe it is my daughter, because I’ve had plenty of time to think about it. She has the same green tint to her that I see whenever I find strength to open my eyes, but the rest of the memory has not. I wish I knew why I’m in this horrible, beautiful, prison. But I don’t think I’ll ever leave. So, I close my eyes again, and let the darkness of nothing take me in, focusing on the pick and green glass I saw for the first time since, well, I don’t know.

So there's that. Next is Thursday's story. The writing prompt-
And the story, numb.
Screeches of animals. Ones I don’t know the names of. And I hear screaming, too much screaming.  I take a deep breath and close my eyes, trying to pretend I’m not in a dank, dark cave. I try to ignore the shaking of my body, because it scares me. Too much. I press my hand to the bottom of the floor, feeling the jagged rocks dig into me. I take a deep breath as I feel it scrape against my skin, stinging. I don’t know how I’m here, but I know why. Her. That demon. Blue streaks in her hair, red eyes, yellow, old skin. Her spell rings in my head, and my hand flies up to my eye, covering it. I feel a liquid and shiver. I pull my hand back, and see blood on my fingertips. I’m bleeding. I think, trying to muster enough strength to stand. I can’t. I close my eyes and let a tear slip out, mingling with the blood a little and stinging it. I take a deep breath again, trying to calm my mind, because I know I will start bleeding in other places any second. She walked me through this before I did it. She left out the death cave, though. I had no idea I would die all alone. I had no idea I would never see my sister again, the very person I swore I would save. She’s safe. She’s safe. I try to keep repeating to myself. She’ll be happy. The demon told me when she cast the spell that would trade our healths and sicknesses that I would be close to dying when I awoke. That cuts would open up all over me, then my body would cramp up. Then, I would die. slowly. And in complete agony. I take a deep breath and think of my sister. I know it’s not fair, giving myself up for her, but I can’t let her die. She is too precious, has too much to learn. And I love her. And I’m sorry I ever left. I feel blood run down my cheek and shiver. My arm cramps and I scream. I take a deep breath and try to stop myself from dying, though I want to. But I need to see her one more time. My body stiffens up and I’m stretched out, not able to move, and all I can do is scream. “I don’t want to die!” I yell, and then my voice gives out. I can’t only move my eyes now. I can only look around. I’m bleeding all over now, but I can’t feel it much anymore, just a faint ache. I wish I could scream, I could hit something. That I could hug my sister one more time, put my hand on her shoulder, just so she could shake it off. So young, to die. But she would’ve been younger. You’re doing the right thing. I know, but I don’t want to. I don’t want to at all. But I have to. I don’t want to. Have to. Don’t want. Have to. And then, I close my eyes. willing death to come soon. I was desperate, and I’m saving her. At least I am going through all this pain for the person I love the most. The person I think most deserves a shot at life. She was only three when our parents died, and 14 year old me tried her best to take care of her. It’s her 10th birthday by now, and she’s probably crying in a room. But she’ll be loved and taken care of. The demon--Oh why, oh why, did I believe a demon?-- said she would find a home for her. But now I realize I don’t know. I don’t know at all. I close my eyes and try to die, let go of everything, but I can’t. because I’m thinking about my sister, my only sister, but I can’t do anything about it. I can’t do anything. I muster a little strength to whisper an apology.
“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have left you. I can never be more sorry. But you’re only 10, love, and you need time to live. I love you too much. You would be dead by now. Just...Remember me, kid.” And I close my eyes. I think I feel death coming on, because I can suddenly feel so much pain. I have a feeling of movement, like I’m going somewhere, but I can’t move anything. I won;’t move anything. And then, I feel a gust of wind. I open my eyes and I’m in a completely white room, with the demon standing there, looking upset.
“I’m sorry.” She says, and I shake my head, looking all over my body, seeing only my eyelid is bloody.
“Why?” My throat has a small scratch in the back of it when I talk, but I feel fine. “What happened?” “Your--your sister. She--” The demon, so horrible, wipes away a green tear. “She took your place.” My eyes dart around the room and find a computer screen with the cave pictured on it,. and there she lies. My ten year old sister. Dead. And crying. And smiling. For me. And she’s gone. She did exactly what I would’ve wanted her to do, what I tried to teach her to do. But I don’t have the energy to scream, to cry, to kill this demon who let her die. I just stand there. numb. Numb and dead inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment