Thursday, April 17, 2014

Burden, part 2



I can’t do this. Dante lets go of her hand and Naira rubs her palm over and over, trying to warm it up again.
“Dante.” She says, a shake in her voice. “I-” Her voice breaks and she tries again. “I want to talk to you after school. It’s important, and you can’t tell anyone where you’re going.” He nods, a look of confusion on his face.
“Sure. You want to meet at my house?” Naira shakes her head vigorously.
“No. Let’s meet at mine.” Dante looks a little confused, but then seems to recover. He grins, that grin that I’m sure every day is what made me fall for him.
“You have a house?” He whispers, and Naira laughs a little.
“Indeed I do, and I need to show you something from it.” He nods once again and lets go the hand he held a moment ago.
“All right, I’ll see you after school.” Naira smiles and waves as the boy she’s been keeping secrets from for too long walks off to his class. She walks towards her locker to grab her Language book, her mind spinning. Her thoughts bounce around the locker hall, always ending back in her twisted mind again. Why did you tell him you would show him? Why? Why? The why bounces into her locker and Naira shuts it, hoping to keep the haunting thought out of her head. Or course it joins her in her class a few minutes later, in the midst of Mrs. Deatrick asking her which of her examples on the blackboard is a correct use of a contraction, the voices come back. The questions. Why? Why? Over and over in her head. She shakes her head twice, trying to get rid of the painful headache that wants to know what she’s doing. But that’s a problem, because she doesn’t know. At all. So, for Naira, it was and is a long day. But finally, school ends, and she heads out the door with Dante towards home. The two hold hands and Naira’s pulse quickens with every step she takes. Dante looks a little nervous, but he’s just better at hiding it. Inside, he’s very confused. What is she showing me? He thinks as they cross the street. I’ve never been to her house before, and I’ve known her for 3 years. That’s a heck of a long time. He turns and smiles at her, and she back at him. But inside of her head are different thoughts, equally as upsetting.
I don’t know why I Did that, but I can’t go back. I need to do something. I’m 16, and my house is practically empty. What else could I be showing him? Nothing. And that is exactly what I will be able to show him. So just show him a new world, show him what you never should, and face the consequences. That’s just part of life. The two arrive at the little two room house soon after, and Naira Drops Dante’s hand and fishes through her pocket for her keys. She opens the door and leads Dante through the kitchen and leaves him outside her bedroom door to get something. You can do this. She thinks to herself. With shaking hands, Naira picks up the dark wooden box and walks over to the door. She watches in horror as Dante realizes what it is. He’s told her so many times what it would be like to meet aliens, to find the planet from the anonymous note he received years ago, to find the box in his hands. And now, it hurts her to watch the disbelief.
“How long have you had that?” His voice cracks and Naira ducks her head as if to dodge a blow to the head.
“A few years.” Dante gasps then sighs.
“Why--Why didn’t you tell me?” Naira shakes her head.
“I can explain, but I don’t think you’re willing to listen.” Dante shakes his head.
“I’m staying right here, you’re explaining the entire thing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment