Saturday, April 5, 2014

Day 6- Apparently it's a Pinocchio re-telling...Part one!

Well then. This writing prompt-
Turned into a Pinocchio re-telling. But in my style. Okay, then. I've been watching waaaaaaaaaaayyy too much Once Upon a Time. (As it should be.) ;-) ENJOY! I only have the first bit, because it's longer, so I couldn't finish it today. :-)
“But we’re supposed to be in this together.” He whispers, and I shake my head.
“I can’t do it.” I shake my head. “I’m sorry.” I’m lying so hard, and it hurts. I want to do this, want to feel for him. But I can’t. He wants me to kill someone, and I can’t do that. I can’t end someone’s life just so I can be with him. Especially someone that also loves him. “Look,” I take his hand. “I said you had to choose, not stage something so that you can be with me without the cost.” I lean forward, touching my forehead on his. “And everything,” I whisper, kissing him on the forehead, “Has a cost.” A tear slips out of my left eye, and I let it fall.
“But I wish-” I shake my head,
“There is no wishing. There is only doing this, and loving someone, even if it hurts.” I squeeze his hand and stand up. “And you need to choose who’s going to get hurt, Joseph.” And I walk out. Just like that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Over the next few days, I hear that the wedding is being set for four months from now. I see Joseph around, but we don’t speak. He just nods his head to me and I to him. There's an understanding that he’s making this decision. And I'm glad. because I know what I would choose. This is not my choice. This is my little sin, loving him. I’m clear and happy, no secrets. Until now. But I’m not supposed to have secrets. I’m cursed, and I have to tell everyone. Nokia. A voice in my head says. My body tenses.
“Yes, Gepetto?” I rub my hand back and forth on my single wooden finger, wincing when my finger covered in skin splinters. I pick the sliver out and take a deep breath.
Pinocchia. I nod.
“I’m here, father.” I suck on my stinging finger.
What aren’t you telling me? I shiver, still not used to my creator inside my head, making sure I don’t lie.
“I can’t--It’s complicated.” I take a deep breath and plunge. “I love him.”
No, Pinocchia. He says, sounding resigned. You can’t. I shake my head.
“He’s making the decision. I’m telling him he can choose--I told him he has to.” I take a deep breath. “Gepetto. I need him. He’s the only person I feel like a real person around, like I’m not just made of wood and magic. I need him. I can’t--”
I know, dear. Go. Find him. I know you need to. I shake my head, wooden tears coming out of my eyes, starting to turn more pieces of me to wood. I think of him and turn back to skin again. I think of Joseph. I love him, and I need him. Please. I take a deep breath, suddenly an idea springing into my head. No. I think at first, but then I know it’s what I must do.
“Gepetto.” I say, tears of salt coming through my eyes. “I love you, and thank you for helping me, for telling the fairy, that I may meet him, love him.” I run to the harbor, toss some coins at the man who stands there.
“Take me to the Black fairy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment