Tuesday, April 8, 2014

April Writing Project: Apparently it's a Pinocchio retelling....Part 2

The words come out as one breath, and I have another in, ignoring the pain. “Please.” I add as an afterthought. The man shakes his head.
“You know that’ll cost ya.” He has a thick accent from the lower town.  I nod, reaching into my pocket and pulling out a silver coin.
“Is that enough?” I ask, my breath short. I need this. Is all I can think. I need this. He nods.
“For a one way trip, but then you’re on your own.” I nod.
“You’re better off that way. I don’t know if I even will be coming back.” He nods.
“You won’t. You won’t.” He says, stepping aside and letting me get into the small boat with one, ragged sail. I take a deep breath and step into the rocky boat.
“I wouldn’t be so sure.:” I say, sitting and rubbing my wooden finger. “I’ve made it this far.” I say, mostly to myself. He climbs in and starts rowing. I close my eyes and pray. All I do is pray, taking deep breaths and trying to ignore the rocking of the moving boat. And I hope to fall asleep, but of course I can’t. I can’t sleep right now, with my skin turning to wood and back again in rhythm with the tides. Finally, the man from the docks shakes my shoulder gently.
“We’re here. I need to go.” I nod and climb out of the boat. I start to walk away, but turn around at the last moment. “What’s your name?” He smiles a little, a shaky, I want to get out of here, smile.
“Ren.” I nod.
“Thank you, Ren.” He nods and rows away into the black night. I sigh and turn around, my jaw set and hands shaking.
“Selena?” I scream. “I know you’re here, daughter of the Black Fairy. You gave me life. Now I want you to take it back.” I gasp when I feel her. I don’t see her, I feel her. I take a deep breath, knowing she’s here. She broke out of her eternal prison for me. To help me. “I know you don’t have much time, so I’ll be quick.” I feel her nod, somehow. Selena was trapped as a vapor in the air, caught in a jar with no life but a piece of driftwood. and Gepetto found her. She created me, from Geppetto’s being, making it so he could be inside my head, and even once, control me. But all that changed when I fell in love. The driftwood she created me out of is beginning to take over, all my emotions. Especially when I lie. But even more when I’m away from Joseph. It’s as if I am lying to myself by being anywhere but near him. And now, allI want is to be a statue in Joseph’s house forever. “I fell in love. It’s too much. He’s marrying someone else.” I feel a teardrop slip own my face, turning to wood at the last moment.
Why, why why? I hear her say.
“Because she’s rich, and his family needs it. He loves me, though. Please, Selena. All I ask is that you turn me to wood so I might be with him. Forever.” I feel her disaprooval in the ari and shiver. “Please.” I say again, feebly. “I need him.”
Think you can just live as a parosel holder in his home for your entire life? You think he would want that.
“I’m better near to him.”
I am sorry, Pinocchia. But I can’t. You need to figure this out yourself.
“I can’t.” I whisper. In the end, I am on the ground, tears around me in the vapor that is Selena, sobbing, not doing anything. And I close my eyes, feeling defeated. When I open them, I’m outside Joseph’s family cottage, and I know Selena put me there. I smile a little thank her soul, and knock before I can change my mind. “Open up, Joseph. You need to decide.” I say, and I feel my throat close up. I hope He’s ready to do all the talking. The door opens and Joseph looks at me, his eyes wide.
“I’m sorry, but I can’t live without you.” I nod. “I’m leaving her.” I excepted at this very second to feel happy, to want to throw my arms around his neck, to be someone for one second. But instead, I feel wood start to spread all over me, encasing me.

“No.” Is all I can say. “You’re supposed to love me so much you can bear through all this so your family can get through it all, but you’re supposed to take care of all of them. I loved you for that.” I whisper, my throat opening and closing and making me hurt so much. “I’m sorry, but I have to do the right thing.” I kiss him on the cheek.. my wooden lips brush his, and I step back, knowing one thing. I’m about to b encased in wood. And this time there’s no one there to help me. “Do wha you will, Joseph. But what I do, I did for you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment